Thursday, April 19, 2007

White spats and lots of dollars

Well, yesterday was the first time Mum had afternoon tea at the Ritz, as a surprise on her 60th. And the first time for Sharon and Zeta. And myself.

On the upside, the pianist played "Happy Birthday to You" at one point, although it wasn't for Mum (another, presumably richer, tea-taker was celebrating her 72nd); on the downside, he also played "All By Myself" and "Mandy."

On the upside, there was a very pretty American girl sitting two tables away from me who looked a little like Alexa Vega; on the downside, there was a very nonpretty American man sitting at the table directly behind me chuntering on about The Partridge Family and Midsomer Murders. (Then again, the 72nd birthday celebrater tried to flatter us by suggesting Mum and the sisters were my girlfriends - if the American babe had been right next to us I'd have been even more embarrassed.)

On the upside, Mum continually showed her concern for my health by asking me not to eat so much scones and have tea with less sugar in it (I eventually did); on the downside, Mum continually showed her concern for my health by asking me not to eat so much scones and have tea with less sugar in it.

On the upside, the tea I had (two pots of Traditional English) was the best I've had in a long, long time; on the downside, I managed to drop my napkin and a raspberry on the floor.

On the upside, it wasn't nearly as bad an experience as dreaded. On the downside, I can wait a while before doing it again. Still, I'm glad my mum isn't Jen's mum or Mike's mum, right folks?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that seems like it was a relatively nice experience. Aside from dropping the raspberry and the girlfriends comment...