Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Avril Lavigne is the new David Byrne.

Years ago, Zeta (my younger, much smarter and more successful sister) told me that David Byrne had the right idea going into movies because his singing left something to be desired. Similarly, Avril Lavigne's best moment to date is voicing William Shatner's daughter in Over the Hedge, not least because she doesn't sing a note. (On the other hand, the end credits of Eragon have the pintsized skid mark belting her heart out. No wonder it underperformed.) All of which doesn't take away from "Girlfriend" being less unbearable than usual, even if it's so conceited it could be by Kelis.

Too bad it's real easy to go "Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind" to the chorus. Try it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I listened to Girlfriend.

I could not understand a damned thing.