Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Before We Do The New Season, The Old Season Post.

No intro, let's just get to it.

FOX

Alcatraz (Bad Robot/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "Count on it. You can see this one fitting in perfectly on Sky One's lineup."
Was I Right? Perhaps I should have said Watch instead of Sky One, as that's who bought it.

Allen Gregory (JHF/Chernin Entertainment/Bento Box Entertainment/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "Pretty good."
Was I Right? One of several comedies acquired by E4.

The Finder (Josephson Entertainment/Far Field Productions/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "This might follow Bones onto Sky One."
Was I Right? No; perhaps it should have been called The Loser. UPDATE: This got bought by Universal Channel.

I Hate My Teenage Daughter (Bonanza Productions/Gavin&Roxie&Hap Productions/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "Comedy Central or E4, maybe?"
Was I Right? At the time of writing, no.

Napoleon Dynamite (Hess Films/Scully Productions/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "Possible."
Was I Right? More than possible - it was bought by E4.

New Girl (Elizabeth Merriwether Pictures/American Nitwits/Chernin Entertainment/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "This could go on SkyLiving or E4."
Was I Right? Yes, sort of - it went to Channel 4.

Terra Nova (Amblin Television/Chernin Entertainment/Kapital Entertainment/Siesta Productions/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "High."
Was I Right? Yep; Sky One bought it.

Touch (Tailwind Productions/Chernin Entertainment/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "Good."
Was I Right? Yes - the relationship between Kiefer Sutherland and Sky One continues.

NBC

Are You There, Chelsea? (formerly Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea - Werner Entertainment/Borderline Amazing Productions/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "If E! showed scripted programming, it would be a lock for the channel. Since it doesn't, I'll bet Comedy Central."
Was I Right? No sign of it on this or any channel.

Awake (Le11er Eleven/Teakwood Lane Productions/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "Possibly Syfy?"
Was I Right? Well, Sky Atlantic does have an "S" and a "y" in its name...

Bent (Quill Entertainment/Universal Television)
What I Said: "Could go either way."
Was I Right? No sign of it yet.

Best Friends Forever (American Work/Universal Television)
What I Said: "Not very high."
Was I Right? Pretty much.

The Firm (Entertainment One Television/Sony Pictures Television/Paramount Pictures)
What I Said: "Universal or Alibi?"
Was I Right? Not at the time of writing.

Free Agents (Very Small Realm/Dark Toy/Big Talk Productions/Universal Television)
What I Said: "Given the cast includes Hank Azaria (in his second show with British links - when Stressed Eric was shown in America he revoiced the title character) and Anthony Head (reprising his role from the original show, a rarity for such Transatlantic translations), not as unlikely as it seems."
Was I Right? So far, more unlikely than I thought.

Grimm (GK Productions/Hazy Mills Productions/Universal Television)
What I Said: "Very good - Channel 4, BBC2, Sky One, SkyLiving..."
Was I Right? It went to Watch.

The Playboy Club (Alta Loma Entertainment Inc./Imagine Television/Storyland (Chad Hodge)/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "Pretty good - More4, BBC3, Sky Atlantic?"
Was I Right? It has yet to show up.

Prime Suspect (ITV Studios America/Film 44/Universal Television)
What I Said: Not as remote as it might seem.
Was I Right? No. UPDATE: It has since been acquired, appropriately enough, by Universal Channel.

Smash (Madwoman In The Attic, Inc./DreamWorks Television/Universal Television)
What I Said: "Excellent, especially since Channel 4's relinquished Glee."
Was I Right? Yes - it's been bought by Sky Atlantic (joining Blue Bloods and House Of Lies in the channel's short list of non-HBO UK premieres).

Up All Night (Broadway Video/Universal Television)
What I Said: Quite good; Comedy Central, SkyLiving or Five might be the best bets.
Was I Right? No sign of this one, even though Christina Applegate's last show turned up... UPDATE: ...and so did this, eventually, on ITV2.

Whitney (Stuber Television/Universal Television)
What I Said: "I wouldn't bet on it, unless it's really funny."
Was I Right? That didn't stop Comedy Central.

ABC

Don't Trust The B---- In Apartment 23 (Fierce Baby Productions/Hemingson Entertainment/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "E4? SkyLiving? Don't know."
Was I Right? It proved to be E4, which isn't surprising. Nor is it surprising that the fourth word in the title is censored - something which would also have happened had it been a British show (see the EPG listings for Gossip Girl's "The Blair Bitch Project" and Ringer's "A Whole New Kind Of Bitch," "If You're Just An Evil Bitch, ).

Charlie's Angels (Millar Gough Ink/Panda Productions/Flower Films/Sony Pictures Television)
What I Said: "Guaranteed. Sky One? SkyLiving? Five? Watch? Maybe even ITV2?"
Was I Right? It turned out to be E4. Well, they do have a lot of time to fill now that Big Brother, Friends and Glee are all gone.

GCB (Darren Star Productions/Kapital Entertainment/ABC Studios)
What I Said: "Not out of the question."
Was I Right? Not yet.

Last Man Standing (Twenty-One Laps-Adelstein/Double Wide Productions/Twentieth Century Fox Television)
What I Said: "Not great, since Home Improvement wasn't a hit over here."
Was I Right? Oh yeah.
Man Up! (Garfield Grove/Tagline Television/ABC Studios)
What I Said: "It's not out of the question."
Was I Right? Unlike the same producer's Better Off Ted and The Trouble With Normal, no sign.

Missing (Little Engine Productions/Upcountry Productions/ABC Studios)
What I Said: "It may well find a home, although the title might have to be changed (there's already been a BBC series of that name, in addition to 1-800-MISSING being shown over here as Missing)."
Was I Right? Ashley Judd's European exploits haven't turned up in this particular part of the continent.

Once Upon A Time (Kitsis/Horowitz / ABC Studios)
What I Said: "This sounds a lot more interesting than No Ordinary Family, and THAT found a British buyer, so..."
Was I Right? Yes; Channel Five bought it (a rare terrestrial premiere for this year's lineup).

Pan Am (Shoe Money/Jack Orman Productions/Out Of The Blue Entertainment/Sony Pictures Television)
What I Said: "ABC'll love for this to fly. And over here, it may show. (If all else fails, Sony Entertainment Television is on here now...)"
Was I Right? BBC2 snapped it up to fill the Mad Men-shaped gap in its schedule.

Revenge (Page Fright-A Mike Kelley Production/Temple Hill Productions/ABC Studios)
What I Said: "It's not out of the question."
Was I Right? The series joined the long, long list of E4 buy-ins.

The River (Haunted Movies/J.A. Green Construction Corp./Amblin Television/ABC Studios)
What I Said: "Very few Spielberg productions don't."
Was I Right? It's available on iTunes UK... does that count?

Scandal (ShondaLand/ABC Studios)
What I Said: "I'm not entirely sure on this one."
Was I Right? I was right not to be sure on this one.

Suburgatory (Piece Of Pie Productions/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: No idea.
Was I Right? E4 took it.

Work It (Bonanza Productions/Summer School Productions/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "Possible."
Was I Right? Er... no.

CBS

2 Broke Girls (Bonanza Productions/MPK Productions/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "5*, Comedy Central, E4 perhaps?"
Was I Right? It was the last-named.

NYC 22 (formerly The 2-2) (Tribeca Productions/CBS Television Studios)
What I Said: "Universal, perhaps (even after Rookie Blue)? Maybe Alibi?"
Was I Right? No to either, plus Rookie Blue is still around.

A Gifted Man (Baer Bones/Timberman-Beverly Productions/CBS Television Studios)
What I Said: "It might."
Was I Right? It hasn't. UPDATE: Coming to Watch.

How To Be A Gentleman (Media Rights Capital/CBS Productions)
What I Said: "Doubtful. It might have to be a hit first."
Was I Right? Well, it certainly wasn't a hit... UPDATE: But that didn't stop Comedy Central.

Person Of Interest (Bad Robot Productions/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "It's from J.J. Abrams, so it's not a matter of if but when."
Was I Right? Not in time for this season. UPDATE: This will mark J.J. Abrams's first show on Channel 5 since season two of Alias.

Unforgettable (Timberman-Beverly Productions/CBS Television Studios/Sony Pictures Television)
What I Said: "Hmmm... Universal? Alibi? Channel 4? Five?"
Was I Right? Female-led drama? I should have said SkyLiving.

The CW

Hart Of Dixie (Fake Empire/CBS Television Studios/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "Good."
Was I Right? Yes - it was picked up by Really. Yes, really.

Ringer (Green Eggs And Pam Productions, Inc./Brillstein Entertainment Partners/ABC Studios/Warner Bros. Television/CBS Productions)
What I Said: "Excellent, and that's without taking the Buffy factor into consideration. E4, BBC2, Syfy, Sky One..."
Was I Right? ...but I should have mentioned SkyLiving, because that's where it wound up.

The Secret Circle (Outerbanks Entertainment/Alloy Entertainment/CBS Television Studios/Warner Bros. Television)
What I Said: "The Vampire Diaries is a hit for ITV2, which also screens Gossip Girl (another Alloy/CW enterprise), so this is just about guaranteed to show up somewhere."
Was I Right? The "somewhere" proved to be SkyLiving.

No comments: